Help: Young ENDLI - UPSIDE DOWN - sick

Akraziatic

Jun 30, 2009
Canberra, Aus
I know this is the wrong place but ive spammed all forums as I need advice asap.

I bought an endli 5 hours from where I live and a couple of mates picked it up for me (not fish keepers) and ive just got it and it was lying on its back.

I lifted him the rightway up moved him around the styro box and then I've put an airstone in and few drops of water conditioner. Just waiting on water test results. Any advice on what I can do. He is only 12cm so a younging and doesn't seem to be fairing well. please help.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
oh dear. I expect it is lack of oxygen and warmth, so airstone is good idea.
if water is too cold , add a littler slightly warmer water, a bit at a time, or stand on top of a warm tank or similar.

he should recover in an hour or so.

he should survive 5 hours travel if he was properly packed.
was there much air in the bag and was the bag a good size?

Akraziatic

Jun 30, 2009
Canberra, Aus
He's breathing fine it seems. I've been monitoring him for a few hours now and he's been showing better signs around every half an hour. He was packed in a styrofoam box and the temp was at 26.8 celcius. I'm going to keep him in the styro box over night so I put some plastic plants and a driftwood cave in so that he can relax. He appears like he is going to pull through the night.

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Darkness IME always works when introducing a new fish, Poly's have a labrynth organ so airation is not a big issue. just give him a quiet, dark, place to acclaimate.

Akraziatic

Jun 30, 2009
Canberra, Aus
Just popped a look at him this morning and he seems to be fine. all the water parameters were normal. He has moved spots since last night which is a good sign that he can still maneuver himself to get air.

Akraziatic

Jun 30, 2009
Canberra, Aus
Far out. Just went to move him into his tank and found a sore that has a fungal infection. I've got uni for a couple of hours now so gotta race down to the lfs to get some primafix and melafix to treat him. Except I'm a bit worried about treating with meds because I've read on the net they don't always take well to them.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Maintain water conditions, pimafix and melafix are all natural if you are worried under dose slightly. Make sure to lift oxygen because these med's seem to effect level's. Are you 100% its fungal not bacterial? either way these 2 meds will help but certain parameters can be played with to better effect the 2 infections.

Akraziatic

Jun 30, 2009
Canberra, Aus
Have treated with primafix and melafix. When inspecting him more closely I noticed his belly is sunken in. So I've soaked prawn in garlic and put it in the tank. he wouldn't take it off a skewer. Unfortunately I am going away for a couple of nights so I've instructed the family on how to look after him and have told them to call me as soon as something seems out of place. lol how this obsession affects the whole household. Hopefully He's going to do well. If anyone has any advice or ideas please feel free to let me know. Thanks for the support.

Akraziatic

Jun 30, 2009
Canberra, Aus
Well just got home and found my male albino bichir had escaped the tank. I found him next to the sump so somehow he's squeezed through the overflow. And also the airline tubing come off the check valves on the l66 tank and come home to stagnant water. The group of neon tetras seem unaffected so hopefully the plants had kept the oxygen level up. Havnt found any casualities yet. Other than that the endli has survived and seems to be doing well. I don't think I'll be going away for a while.