L397 made a meal of my angel wrigglers

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I watched one of my smallest 397's make a meal of 5+ of angel wrigglers today, I had just stole them off their parents to raise myself,
This little blighter, was onto them like a flash, within seconds of them falling onto the filter sponge ..then it just went, :drool: oh look, Chomp, <3 hmm nom nom nom, chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp, then slid down to the base of the filter and continued hoovering up the ones on the gravel.
So much for them being vegie n wood munchers exclusively..:whistle:

Chewing on one here, had already consumed a few.. :/

Chewing on another

Insert Jaws music

Pounce

:whistle: nom nom nom all gone

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
That is a very smart fish, and looks a nice planted tank too. Something has made a few holes in the Anubias? in the foreground as well.

It may be that they are lacking green vegetables? You could try feeding them some more vegetables, zucchini would be good, or bell pepper, blanched french bean etc. An occasional prawn might help as well, although I think they are just opportunistic and the fish looks in very good condition from the photos.

cheers Darrel

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Thanks guys
Yes, Thanks Darrel, I thought it was the smallest one having a go at my anubias, But It wasn't ,It's snail damage, there are hundreds of small Ramshorns in there, The Panaques get loads of cuc, beans, peas, carrot and their own special chips for Panaques..and maybe the odd shrimp & or snail bubs, I have also seen them chomping on a dead adult shrimp, I don't know if it was jumped on like the angel wrigglers were, but it was sure having a meal on the shrimp carcase lol, but veg they get ...
This is their tank..70L, Housing 4 juvenile L397, a colony of Cherry Red Shrimp, a hundred or so Ramshorn snails ...

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Lovely tank and a good diet, no wonder it looks so happy, in fact I'm sure it is smiling in the first photo.
I thought it was the smallest one having a go at my anubias, But It wasn't ,It's snail damage, there are hundreds of small Ramshorns in there
You learn something new every day. I often get Ramshorns on my Anubias, but they have never eaten any holes, so I assumed they were grazing on the algae etc. However I don't tend to ever have very many as shell erosion tends to get then before they get very large.

I just thought it looks a lot like the damage that you get from Ancistrus on Amazon swords.

cheers Darrel

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Ya never know lol. It could be the 397's but I doubt they have the need with their varied diet, & Yes, I get the same with shell damage or weakness with my snail shells, They rarely get past pea size, but funny my shrimp shells are ok.. I have larger Ramshorns in other tanks, But the ones in the 397 tank are small and many lol..I thought the Ramshorns didn't eat foliage too..I guess in general, they eat what is available & is to their liking at the time lol, Hek, they are prolly all having a go at it :dk:

Last edited:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i coulda told you that... had a couple small fry in with some zebs... and they were eating up all the bloodworms and grew so quick and retained lots of red in their colouring too... if it fits in their mouth they'll eat it....

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
hmm Agreed lol Ya know after careful inspection of the leaves of that anubias, It has distinct pleco mouth shapes to the holes lol sucked in Mooo, Darrel, It seems you were right mate, apologies for doubting it was the 397, lol