Garage floor paint fumes

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
This might be a silly question but will my fish be ok if I painted my garage floor with floor paint. I am concerned about the fumes that are given off. I can leave the garage door open during the day but at night it would need to be locked. I have 11 tanks in there so wondered if it could cause a problem? :dk:

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
In my earlier days of having the shop I used to paint the fish room floor every year using floor paint and lost no fish while doing so, just keep it well aerated until the paint dry's and all should be fine...The one thing I did do was take a feed for my air blower from outside so I wasn't sucking fumes into the tank.

jhunts

Aug 19, 2011
USA
In my earlier days of having the shop I used to paint the fish room floor every year using floor paint and lost no fish while doing so, just keep it well aerated until the paint dry's and all should be fine...The one thing I did do was take a feed for my air blower from outside so I wasn't sucking fumes into the tank.
Thanks for this advice...fishes are safe even if I use floor paint in the fish room.

albino

Sep 9, 2009
Leeds
I've got 2 tanks in my dining room and I was wondering whether paint vapour might affect my plecs when I paint the walls. (Also have a housebound son who has asthma).
I found a company called Ecos Organic Paints - not sure if I'm allowed to put commercial links in here. It has the British Allergy Foundation's seal of approval and says it's even safe enough to use in nurseries, so I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully it'll be ok for both the fish and my son :)

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I've got 2 tanks in my dining room and I was wondering whether paint vapour might affect my plecs when I paint the walls. (Also have a housebound son who has asthma).
I found a company called Ecos Organic Paints - not sure if I'm allowed to put commercial links in here. It has the British Allergy Foundation's seal of approval and says it's even safe enough to use in nurseries, so I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully it'll be ok for both the fish and my son :)
Household emulsions are water based and safe with fish :thumbup:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I myself would not risk it If you read the COSHH sheet for some of the H/D floor paints they recommend using a respirator when painting with them.
I am sure many people have done it and had no issues but for me I would not do it.