6-8 inch pleco

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
well buy the book Back to Nature by Ingo Seidel and it will tell you the best info on L fish, how to keep, diet needs, water quality, pictures, etc. good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Since your are in the uk you should have access to most all types of Plecs I would suggest a bristlenose type
Just pick which you like best and go from there !
Good luck

JackDempsey72

Oct 4, 2014
Bristol/uk
Since your are in the uk you should have access to most all types of Plecs I would suggest a bristlenose type
Just pick which you like best and go from there !
Good luck
Yeah. I'd prefer something different as I had a BN in my last tank. I'm in the uk with lots of plecos but it hard to find info about them.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
look into the Ancistrus family and there are a lot o choose from. Be wary some are pure woodeaters as well. Good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
It all depends on how much you are willing and capable to spend. On the 'high-end' side, L82 gets to 8" full grown. On the cheap size, most of the Panaque will fit the bill. I personally like the look of L330, is abit more expensive than most of the others but not by much.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
It all depends on how much you are willing and capable to spend. On the 'high-end' side, L82 gets to 8" full grown. On the cheap size, most of the Panaque will fit the bill. I personally like the look of L330, is abit more expensive than most of the others but not by much.
Assuming the OP meant ultimate size I have to disagree a bit with this statement. 6-8" in a Panaque is quite an unusual size. The dwarfs like clowns, L002 etc only get about 4" or so and the Royals like nigrolineatus, armbruster & the like, including L330 will top out over 12". They do grow relatively slowly but will eventually get large. For the most part 6-8" isn't a common size in plecos, I can only think of a few of the top of my head but maybe Psuedolithoxus anthrax or blue/green phantoms.

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
True, most Panaque will get large but it will take almost forever (probably longer than anyone who just want one pleco in the tank). Just like L82 will take forever to reach 8" as well. Normal mature size for L82 is more like 6" and they come in around 4". As for Panaque, I have seen them come in around 6" in size, even though most are around 4" or smaller. Only the blue eyed comes in regularly at over 12" but they cost like US$750 or more each. L128 and L200 are full grown around 7" to 8". However, even most WC comes in around 2" to 4" size, and it will take a 2 to 3 years to reach the 6" size. So for instant to medium-term gratification of having a decent size pleco in the tank with reasonable pricing, Panaque is not a bad choice.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
My Xingu grew 1.5-2" per year, so relatively quick rates are not out if the question. This was in a well stocked tank and no effort was made to push growth. I guess I don't make it a practice to recommend pkecs that ultimately get larger than the requested size no matter how long it takes, especially when mist underestimate the size requirements of plecs. Seen too many neglected catfish from owners that intended to get larger tanks and just never did.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, I agree with Lorne, blue phantoms L128 or green phantoms L200 would be a good fit and they are slow growers- eat mostly raw veggies( mine loved zucchini skin, red sweet peppers, spinach, de-shelled peas ,ect. Another would be the L264 Sultan. They eat protien and veggies. ---One thing about the Sultan, you must keep the nitrates low- under 40, but 10 is better. They eat both skin and inside of the raw zucchini, sometims with a protien sitck stuck in it. Good luck with your choice !