Bashed and fungussed L201

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
As a pleco noob, do you know what caused this? Most of my experience is with angelfish. I'm just curious if this is one of those things that common to plecos.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
this tail nibbling-attack injury, occurs, when a male dominates a cave and another one wants this cave and the male which always has his head first in the cave, does not want to give up his cave. So the weak point of any L is their tail which gets nibbled on or attacked by the other male in order to try and get him out. Most profiles o the L201 indicate that they are prone more to this than others Ls, but it can and doea occur with others as well. cheers jk :thumbup:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I had a piece of driftwood fall over the front a cave. Made a perfect hiding place for breeding and all the males decided they wanted just that one cave instead of the other 8 caves in the tank.

Fungus looked smaller still last night. Had done 3 doses of Protozin over 3 days which is the correct dose. May do another wc and dose tonight, just to make sure that little bit of fungus left is well on its way out.

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Wow, those are some stubborn males you've got in there :lol:

Thanks for letting me know what happened. I learned something new today. I never realized how territorial they could be.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Update time. Seems we've gone back a square. Not quite to square one but that pesky fungus has grown again.

He looks ok in himself so into the treatment again. He looks strong enough.

I caught him and removed the fungus again. Painted it with Betadine and dried as well as I could.

After a few minutes swishing around in the water most of the Betadine has washed off. There were some blood points there but thats got to be a good thing as it shows very good circulation. Just got to get it to heal now. Water changed and Protozin dose recommenced.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow how resiliant are these fish. Good idea about the betadine. I think it will be gone now. cheers jk :thumbup:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Completed the 3 day course of Protozin and apart from a feint little bit, the fungus looks almost gone. Couldn't see it without a zoom lens.
Can imagine the comment from the fish, not this AGAIN! lol.

He's happy he's off.

Heres a photo of the now alpha male and you can see the adipose fin which needs to grow back on the other one. Its going to take a while.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
All better except for a bit of scarring and no adipose fin which I am not sure will ever grow back. Water change tonight and its looking so good I don't need to medicate any more.
Thanks you all your support, you've been marvellous.