L129 Pleco breeding log

basicsimple

Feb 22, 2012
Malaysia
Hi everyone,

First of all i would like to thank the forum for providing a lot of info for me to learn from. The moderators and some veterans are very helpfull eg irene and bigbird.

It is time to give back to the forum now. Here is my breeding log for L129 tiger.

Water parameters.
6.5 - 7.0
KH 4 ( Malaysia tap water source kh value in Selangor which i did not alter)
GH 4
TDS Not measured
Water change 5 days - 1 week once ( 30 % changes )

Aquarium setup.
4 pcs of L129 1 Male 3 female, breeding frequency 1 month once until now.
9 pcs of 15 X 15 X 15 ( 45 X 15 X 15 ) rack with all water related to sum filter.
5 W pond value UV assisted tank.
Sand = ADA shirui
Bog woods
PVC caves and ceramic cave.
Plants provided for non plants eater.
I find it expensive to actually provide enough water current for my pleco since i got 9 small aquarium, so i decided to buy a big air pump to provide more water movement to my aquariums. The movement by the air bubbles give me a full tank water movement imitate powerhead.

Method of eggs keeping.
My male do eat some eggs in the guarding period so i decided to take it out. From my previous batch experience my eggs will hatch within 24 hours if i take it out from father after 5 days, so i wait until the right moment. I will suggest to wait for the right time because no amount of human effort can imitate the father care even though i lose few eggs as a food.

I find a high sucess rates for my fry survival after hatch probably is because i got few empty tank in my rack, so i just put my eggs and wait for them to hatch. Same water source, everything same for father and babies.

More photo will be update soon and it is almost time to try breed my L 260.

Regards,
John

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Brilliant log-well written and quality images.I found it really interesting that you used such small tanks-what was the thinking behind that? It's interesting to see as if memory serves most logs see people using 3foot tanks or bigger.
Fantastic read
Cheers cc

basicsimple

Feb 22, 2012
Malaysia
Hi,

My reason behind it was I feel that it suitable to me. Other than Pleco I still got a big tank 48 x 30 x 24 for my altum angels and 26 pcs 2feets aquarium for my show guppy.

Show guppy for competition
Pleco for breeding challenge
Altum angels for keeping and some trial to breed it.

Regards,
John

Jul 9, 2009
sunshinecoast
129s , im breeding them on ph 7 , temp 30 , straight town water , 2 males 5 females , ive had 7 spawns over the last 3 months , i netted out 70 fry to date , fed on mysis, brine , bloodworm , carnivore tabs , live mosquito wrigglers , live adult brine , all looking good a very hardy very easy to breed species