Help - advanced rot on tail

J4C

Sep 25, 2017
Perth
Hi,

Can anyone suggest treatment for my bristlenose catfish. Tail has gone from bristles to nothing at all and I fear it's now eating into the tail. Bristles on face are fine. Other catfish in tank has no issues. Tank is 150L. No other fish in tank (tetras) have any fin issues. There's roughly 30 tetras ranging from neons to blood glass fin and rummy nose with a few white fin and black neons.

Tail has been slowly deteriorating for about 4 weeks. I've tried methylene blue dip/bath for 10 secs and the instead gone to pouring it directly onto affected tail part every couple of days without any change.

I took a water sample to LFS on weekend and it appears nitrates may have caused issue as they were 60ppm which upset and surprised me as I thought I was fairly vigilant in my cleaning regime. I assume it's my tendency to overfeed.

Tank is cleaned fortnightly (50% water change currently trying to sort this issue). Temp sits about 24.5 C. PH was 7.2.

Catfish is about 5yo and I've never had any issue with either of them in this time, though the one with the damaged tail does get picked on by the other male who is larger.

Other forums have suggested kanamycin in a quarantine tank. Thoughts? Any experience treating with this (if it's the right treatment) on bristlenose?

Any help gratefully received.

Attachments

J4C

Sep 25, 2017
Perth
One further update: after water test at LFS I did a 65% water change and clean and added nitra-zorb to cannister filter to get nitrates under control.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
5 years old is reasonable age for bn... normally bn heal up quickly on their own.. tough as nails.. maybe with its age its immune system has deteriorated and its not able to fight off this infection... smaller picky fish will continue to nibble on its tail also hindering healing... suggest seperate tank away from pickers and good water quality should be your first option... perhaps an anti fungal and something to fight the secondry bacterial infection...
I would just cull the fish myself... and get another bn if needed. Your treatments cost far more than the fish is worth... and treatments quite often kill beneficial bacteria leading to ammonia spikes etc... killing your other fish....

Reactions: Chris T 2067