Help with pleco worming

Monarodan

Sep 1, 2014
Australia
Hi all moved my 134 397 002 to new tanks and my 134 are very fat and breathing a bit heavy and where before I moved them 397 and 002 where breeding now have stopped for about 6 weeks and there a bit skinny around the stomach iv wormed with kusuri a couple of times over the last 12 months should I worm them with something else and what all fish seem to be eating 1 think the 134 may be a fat from being with my discus in grow out tank any ideas would be great thanks

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
L134 can get really fat. Limit their diet for a while to a more veg based set up.

My L397 do have a time out every few months. Its normal and they get back into it usually when there's a few storms starting. Hikari algae wafers are meaty enough for the panaquolus ones and they should fatten up over time.

Make sure you check they have established spots they can stick to and aren't constantly doing musical caves and annoying each other.

If you want a more intensive wormer over 5 days use Microbe Lift Praziquantel. I have wormed juvi L397s, blue phantoms and zebs with it before with no losses.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
hey bren i was reading last week Praziquantel can have short and long term effects on catfish... sensitive ones in particular.... first time i have read this... but i'd expect most meds have some sort of ill effect on your fish...
i dont rate that kursuri wormer or wormer plus at all... doesnt seem to kill off camallanus worm and couple times didnt touch planeria either... but be warned it does say stingray safe on the packet too... and it will melt your rays flaps in very quick time....

for an all purpose wormer i use Internal Parasite Clear (IPC) product made by company in india called big fish... they have a reputation of making good products... a lot of other meds are made by big fish but relabelled...

but if you have camallanus worms go straight for the levamisole

both products normally donot wipe out your beneficial bacteria... but any treatment has the potential to wipe out beneficial bacteria so keep a close eye on your ammonia levels and if it comes up off zero you'll need to take action - i would add prime to detoxify ammona etc... and add some newstart once treatment is completed and maybe squeeze some bacteria out of another filter and add also...

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I think the Kusuri is so mild its supposed to be used as a regular once a month treatment.
I am not that diligent I'm afraid.

I had zebs with the skinnies and it was very gradual and never all the fish, just an odd one every month or two. Kusuri and Sykes BigL would make all the others good for a while but I would still lose the skinny one and after a few more months another zeb would start going skinny.

So I used the Prazi and now they are all nicely rounded and I just got eggs. Albeit infertile ones but hey that's more than I have gotten in the last year with them.
I was getting pretty desperate.

Monarodan

Sep 1, 2014
Australia
Thanks iv got some of the Meds do you treat as says one teaspoon per 70 ltrs treat very day for 5 days with water change daily do you put 1 teaspoon per 70 ltrs or just the amount of water you take out thanks

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Treat daily for the amount of water in the tank.

If you want to use less meds, lower the water level and keep it there for the duration of treatment. Only measure the water, length x width x water height divided by 1000 to get litres. Not the outside dimensions of the glass and full tank height.

While the wormer doesn't kill off your good bacteria it does kill off lots of bad things, some of which are microscopic and it will raise the nitrates and the tds.
Doing the water change just freshens up the tank and keeps the water up in the safe nitrate levels.
I found I had to do a couple extra water changes for a few weeks afterwards until the tank had its balance back.