L066 White Spot(s)

jzcombo

Feb 10, 2015
Staten Island, NY
I need help identifying a problem with my L066 pleco:

1. A good general description of the symptoms.

Everything started to go wrong about a month ago. I had a case of cyanobacteria growing in the tank. By the time I researched enough to do anything about it, I noticed a couple fishes with the ich.
I raised the temperature in the tank to about 84F to combat the ich, kept the lights off for about two weeks, and performed daily water changes. Few casualties from the ich (I'm working on renovating my quarantine tank into a sump). But while resetting everything back to normal, I noticed my pleco has a white spot close to his dorsal fin. Flat to the skin, but we'll defined as a problem. And a week later, the spot is still there and a second portion is starting to become visible.
Also, faint white line around his eyes. Never noticed before.

2. Size of tank and other tankmates.

29L planted tank
1 opaline Gourami
1 sparkling Gourami
1 pearl Gourami
3 yo yo loaches
2 tetras (what is left from the school. Did have 5 total)
Clam

3. Water parameters.

a. Ammonia 0
b. Nitrite 0
c. Nitrate ~10
d. PH 6.8, GH 2, KH 2, PO 10

4. Filtration and water change regime.

a.currently AquaClear 30 HOB with purigen, sponge and the biomax that came with AquaClear
b. Weekly 1/6th WC
c. Prime is used to dechlorinate

5. Diet.

I have the three foods that Sink to the bottom, Hikari algae wafers, sinking wafers and sinking carnivore pellets. Other food that is in the tank is Hikari dried tubifex, brine shrimp, and blood worms. Also Thera+. The food is fed sparingly and is alternated daily to mix it up. I haven't started using vegetables yet.

6. Temperature of tank water

Normally at ~79F. Right now at ~83F because of the ich.

7. Treatments Used already

No treatments used for the white spot on the pleco. Turning the lights off removed the cyanobacteria, while raising the temperature and daily water changes cleared up the ich. I also added a bubble line while temperature was increased. Light is back on now. Ich is gone. Not sure which direction to go with the temperature for the pleco issue.

8. A Pic

Pictures to come shortly... First will be of early detection, then with a second spot visible.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CJ9YOXn3mL7Be9tZ6M0Y5aFMKCFiPVwJAw/view?usp=docslist_api
https://drive.google.com/file/d/177VY1c2AC4I5cuOIy4CG7Z9nczlSBkv7VA/view?usp=docslist_api
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A_ArmhHnqtkHCKAwkCSrFHdENNkPIJln0g/view?usp=docslist_api

Last edited:

Plecolover2721

Aug 8, 2015
Minnesota usa
sailfin with the same problem

This looks just like what my Sailfin has except his white patches have little black dots inside it, and his are under his pelvic fins, not around his dorsal. I used API General Cure packets and its seemed to help clear it up. It first started by making the black dots go away, and now the white patches are gradually getting smaller. We dosed a total of 4 times (two treatments with a 25% water change in between) which is 8 days since you dose every 48 hours. We also raised the temp to about 83 since i suspected it was a parasite. im not sure if your pleco shows any other symptoms such as darting, twitching and acting agitated but ours did. I never noticed any white lines around the eyes but i wasn't looking at them too closely. I hope this helps, if its the same as my guy has i'm sure it will help.

jzcombo

Feb 10, 2015
Staten Island, NY
This looks just like what my Sailfin has except his white patches have little black dots inside it, and his are under his pelvic fins, not around his dorsal. I used API General Cure packets and its seemed to help clear it up. It first started by making the black dots go away, and now the white patches are gradually getting smaller. We dosed a total of 4 times (two treatments with a 25% water change in between) which is 8 days since you dose every 48 hours. We also raised the temp to about 83 since i suspected it was a parasite. im not sure if your pleco shows any other symptoms such as darting, twitching and acting agitated but ours did. I never noticed any white lines around the eyes but i wasn't looking at them too closely. I hope this helps, if its the same as my guy has i'm sure it will help.
I have to research the cure packets. I don't have my hospital tank, so I would have to dose the whole tank.