Velvet

Strals

Jul 28, 2013
Marrickville
Hi all

having a disastrous fish health time!

In summary:
*moved house 2 months ago, lost a few fish, but mostly a success

* My big tank, although cycled, must have had some nitrate spikes, lost a few discus and pepps - resolved the issues

* then the discus that i moved developed white spot - fixed the issue - and treated all tanks (a few days ago, treated with blue planet white spot remedy. it worked on the discus tank), treated all my tanks with this.

*then a couple of BNs developed bloat - my fault for introducing sinking carnivore pellets - lost a couple of BNs (this has happened last couple of days) - treated with pea method

* Yesterday I did a water change of all tanks. Treated with PondMax Ick Knockout & Melafix as a few BN n Ls looked like that had whitespot, although it seemed different.

* Today came home and the discus tank looks good but the other tanks the BNs & Ls look like they have a brownish yellow spot problem = big time. I've added salt, increased the temp and covered with blankets - I think this is velvet disease, which I havent seen before, doesn't look like white spots.

* what do I treat it with? PondMax Ick knockout says it is a treatment for protozoa as well but added that yesterday and the fish look much worse today, rather than better!

*any suggestions or ideas? what should I treat it with?

many thanks
Ant.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
do more 30% daily water changes for a week, add and airstone and do not use salt. I find the more you muck around with the tank the more problems or additional problems will occur. Although difficult, solve one problem at a time. What size tank, do you have a Q tank to put the fish with white spot in them to treat ? good luck and you unfortunately will loose some more fish I fear ( hope not though) so fix one thing first. cheers jk :thumbup:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Very sorry to hear Ant. Do you have some photos of the brown/yellow spots on the L's? Have you added any new fish since you moved?

Strals

Jul 28, 2013
Marrickville
I treated the tank yesterday with white spot treatment.
It hasnt done anything, this usually works really quickly.
The fish seem worse
Might get some protozin - is this freely available in LFSs? or if someone in Sydney Inner West has any that would great.
Will attach some pics - how do I upload?

Attachments

Strals

Jul 28, 2013
Marrickville
temp is now sitting at 30degrees

treated again today with a whitespot and velvet treatment bought from my LFS.

fingers crossed!
thanks peeps

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
Single-cell organism has very low tolerance to copper. I use 'home-made' copper sulfate solution to treat all external parasitic issues. Just make sure you have a copper test kit and monitor the copper concentration. Remove copper is easy, just use activated carbon couple with massive water change.

Strals

Jul 28, 2013
Marrickville
Update
It seems to be working. All of the fish have a lot less velvet. Lost a couple of fry but no adults. Fingers crossed this continues! thanks everyone for advice