Update on Wait or Treat...

hellsbells

Dec 2, 2011
essex
Hi all,

Quick update on my 1st thread...

Think battlestations at ready. Have spotted a few small yellowish spots on a couple of the bn's. 1 on the head of a tetra. They are tiny and not easy to see but they look like the same on the one that died. My friend said confusingly that hers were fine but she had still lost some.

Being no good at maths I cant get the correct answer on how big the tank is in litres or gallons. Its a Jewel Rio 240. (46x18x12) if anyone can help:whistle:.

Will treat at half dose when sure how much to use and cross all fingers and toes. Have some pics that I will post if can work out how to.

Wish me luck
Helen

hellsbells

Dec 2, 2011
essex
thanks for that. Is that 240 litres??? i.e. Rio 240. was just wondering. God i'm thick if thats the case.

Having trouble with SD HC slot in comp and drivers on installer CD wont update so cant get photo's done. Error messages everywhere. Technology eh?

hellsbells

Dec 2, 2011
essex
Hi there,

Sorry:wb:should have been 48x18x15. Less 15% approx gaps and displacement I think. Have treated just now at 200 litres at half dose. I hope this is going to be correct.

Thanks
Helen

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i would treat for white spot, especially if your tetra has this as well. Add an airstone and temp up by 2C. cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi , Helen, sorry you are going through this , bummer.

Now that you know the size of your tank , and plan to treat 1/2 dose, it may be a good idea to figure in how much decorations/wood/rocks .etc. and deduct a few gallons as they take up space in your actual water collum. Shouldnt be much, but better safe when using meds. The actual amount you will come up with totally depends on how much or little decor you have in there. Dosent need to be exact , just kinda eyeball the stuff in the tank and make some reduction to how much tank water you will actually be treating. I only mention this cuz some people have quite a large amount of decorations which takes up water space, whereas others have minimal scapes,and wouldnt need to consider lowering the dosage at all. HTH. hope all goes well,
Georgie

hellsbells

Dec 2, 2011
essex
Hi all,
Quick question - am using eSHa Exit anti white spot to treat whatever it is. Spot gone from tetra today. Still a few on some of the BN's and it looks like 1 or 2 on the large common plec.

2nd dose due in a 20 or so minutes.

Bottle says:-
day 1 20 drops per 100 litres
day 2 10 drops per 100 litres
day 3 10 drops per 100 litres

Do I treat day 2 as day 1 ie 20 drops then 10 drops for 4 more days?

Some old posts here have said treatment goes on longer than 3 days but this brand says 1-2 days should see an improvement. Would be nice to stop it so quick. Can stop worrying and checking them constantly. Then there would only be Xmas to worry about!.

Helen

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
You should dose as per the bottle instructions.
However, you should continue treatement for longer than 7 days. The lifecycle of ich is such that it can appear to disappear at a certain point. What's happening is that the adults drop off but eggs are laid. Meds don't kill the eggs thus if treatment is stopped as soon as the adults disappear, the eggs can hatch & you get a reinfestation. The longer treatment period assures you get the young if the eggs should hatch.

jacobraven

Nov 3, 2011
Sawtell
This life cycle of 7days is also at a temp of 28-30 degrees any colder and it will take longer dont bump it up to 30 straight away a degree a day and see how the fish handle it same goes for the 1/2 dose i started small with my ich treat a while back but just up'd the amount slowly and the loaches and bns wre fine with it ended up doing the last days on a full dose but just see how they handle it take it on your observations.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
You should dose as per the bottle instructions.
However, you should continue treatement for longer than 7 days. The lifecycle of ich is such that it can appear to disappear at a certain point. What's happening is that the adults drop off but eggs are laid. Meds don't kill the eggs thus if treatment is stopped as soon as the adults disappear, the eggs can hatch & you get a reinfestation. The longer treatment period assures you get the young if the eggs should hatch.
Agree...Esha Exit is fine with pleco's at stated dose.