camallanus HELP!!

Jun 16, 2017
Australia
Hi fishie people,
Ive just got a quick dilemma to run past you all.
Ive just treated my tank with liquid Avitrol plus for camallanus worms, its been 25 hours and im still not seeing worms drop from bums (great mental picture there)
I was just wondering if thats normal for it to take so long, i was under the assumption they would start dropping out at 4-8 hours in, and have most gone by 24 hours.
I dosed at the recommended 1ml per 5L of water following the guidelines i found on this site.
Advice is much appreciated.

Tank inhabitants:
2 albino bristlenose
6 common bristlenose
horde of guppies
4 albino corydora catfish
1 bronze corydora catfish
3 clown loaches
1 glass catfish (who needs friends, but cant get until the worms are gone)
3 neon tetra
+attack of the bladder snails (clown loaches just cant keep up)

Jun 16, 2017
Australia
yes the fish are eating, and i may have noobed up my initial treatment and thats why the worms didnt drop.
so i had a syringe that i thought was 10ml..... it was 1ml haha. so 2.9ml instead of 29ml.
i re treated and worms dropped, horay.
now i have an epic bacterial bloom happening, should i do a water change, or follow instructions and wait the 3 days before i do the change?

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
now i have an epic bacterial bloom happening, should i do a water change, or follow instructions and wait the 3 days before i do the change?
Yes change the water and try and add some more oxygen.

It is a bit strange because neither the levamisole or praziquantel in the "Avitrol plus" should have affected your biological filtration.

cheers Darrel

Jun 16, 2017
Australia
i read somewhere bird wormer had glucose in it, im thinking that maybe that could be the cause. either way im doing a big water change, already added an extra air stone. hoping the big water change wont affect the effectiveness of the treatment

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
i read somewhere bird wormer had glucose in it, im thinking that maybe that could be the cause....... hoping the big water change wont affect the effectiveness of the treatment
OK, that could cause a bacterial bloom, but it shouldn't last long, because it wasn't much glucose (you've added a low volume of Avitrol).

You can always have a follow-up treatment after two weeks or so, to make sure you've got rid of them.

cheers Darrel

Jun 16, 2017
Australia
i did a second treatment last night, and woke again to the worlds most epic and deadly bacterial bloom. RIP little fishies.
id love to post a picture to show you how bad it is, you cant see my huge filters, you cant see my java fern floating in my tank. you cant see anything but white. the worst bacterial bloom i have ever seen.
my tank was 186L and i put in 37ml of avitrol plus liquid as directed.
it did effectively treat the worms.....the survivors shall be parasite free.... if they survive the 8 hours while i am at work that is.
i did about a 20% water change as soon as i woke up. ill probably do another 20% change when i get home. i dont want to remove too much of the avitrol from the water as its there for a purpose.
apart from the added air stone, is there anything else that can be done for a bacterial bloom of this magnitude. ive never had it so bad that an extra sponge filter didnt fix it.

Jun 16, 2017
Australia
i got home from work and you could not see anything but white. fish look terrible. neon tetras suffered a mass extinction in my tank. one of my clown loaches was on deaths door (i got him in a different tank and he seems better, other two are still in the cloud but appear not as affected as this one)
i can now confidently say that i do not recommend liquid avitrol plus.