Tank for L333 and Advice on Transfer L333

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hi All,

Ok I need your advice please. About 2months ago I set up a 4 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 tank, 1200lt/ph external cannister filter, internal 1200lt/h power head and sponge filter. Black gravel, 8 caves from clay, bamboo, slate and wood. I have Ls 1M and 1F at 14-15cm, 3 at 10cm and 2 at 6cm. As I will transfer my L333s, my question is, should I only put into this tank my 14cm breeders only or all of them ? My tank below

thanks a lot. cheers jk

Phenomena

Jul 12, 2010
Sydney
IMHO it won't matter. Your tank is big enough to have more than 1 male. If they want to breed, they will. My breeding tank is only 2x18x14, 1M+3F plus fry. The presence of fry doesn't affect their breeding.
I know a breeder who has 20+ adults in a similar size tank as yours. Only 1 male breeds, the rests don't. Not sure why.

KiwiBigD

Apr 16, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Theoretically you're okay, but personally I wouldn't bother with having the younger ones in there. L333s don't argue much as a rule and the tank is a good size.

But you are going to end up with a bit of waste plus an excess or hormones which can inhibit growth of younger fish. So if going this route you'll need to increase the water changes and I'd be looking at 20% - 30% per week easily.

For my own L333 fry I throw them outside in a 500L bucket to grow them out and the water I remove goes onto the various plants then I just top up directly from the hose. And their growth rate is excellent, makes it easier for cleaning and the fish are healthy. But I do this for my L134s, Albinos and Peppermints. Mixing of the various fish is generally okay as well.

- KiwiBigD

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
Theoretically you're okay, but personally I wouldn't bother with having the younger ones in there. L333s don't argue much as a rule and the tank is a good size.

But you are going to end up with a bit of waste plus an excess or hormones which can inhibit growth of younger fish. So if going this route you'll need to increase the water changes and I'd be looking at 20% - 30% per week easily.

For my own L333 fry I throw them outside in a 500L bucket to grow them out and the water I remove goes onto the various plants then I just top up directly from the hose. And their growth rate is excellent, makes it easier for cleaning and the fish are healthy. But I do this for my L134s, Albinos and Peppermints. Mixing of the various fish is generally okay as well.

- KiwiBigD
is this tank open to the weather? do you have a heater, if so whats the temp? whats your food?

Cheers

KiwiBigD

Apr 16, 2010
Sydney, Australia
My fish outdoors

The 500L rainwater tanks from Bunnings I have outside aren't heated at all, they are on the north west side of our garage so they heat up in the afternoon and cool overnight.

They have a couple of bezz blocks from Bunnings in the bottom to provide shelter along with a couple of bits of driftwood with some plants on them. And a 10w 2500lhr internal filter about 1/3rd of the way down so there is ample waterflow. This is a picture of the tanks, they're normally around the $89 mark these days:

As to food its mixed, I throw in everything from from cooked green vegetables (brocoli, cabbage, silverbeet/spinach), raw carrots, beet leaves, pellets (including cichlid, shrimp, general meat based), algae wafers and pretty much anything. Raw vegetables like carrots, sweet potato and onion I've found to be pretty popular plus carrots don't really go of and they float.

- KiwiBigD

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
and the fry survive happily with the temperature getting down over night and then zooming up in the days, what about during summer on 40 degree days etc? or in winter on 2 degree nighs?

KiwiBigD

Apr 16, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Bunnings Tank

So far they've only been outside maybe 4 months. Moved a tonne outside when we had a wave of hot for a week, then we got all the rain and cold. But so far so good and the results are showing for themselves. I'll keep them there as long as I can but will keep an eye on the heat come winter. Few months yet at least :)

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I dont think it will hurt if you put them together, but if you have the room to keep the younger ones in a different I would do so as they could distract the adults from breeding.. good luck