Mixed pleco question

Neil1155

Jul 23, 2016
Kendal
Hi,
I am hoping to have a tank with only pleco in it and was wondering if the type I would like will be ok together, I would like a royal pleco, golden nugget, phantom blue, phantom green, I will be trying to get them no bigger than three inches long and they will be going in a 350 liter corner unit tank. Any advice will be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Neil.

mrRRunner

Oct 2, 2009
Staffordshire UK
Hi Neil
I can't comment on the Royal apart from if it is a panaque then make sure you have plenty of wood in the tank.
As for the Nugget and phantoms, I have kept them together for about 7 years (1 x G/N, 2 x Blue, 2 x Green) in my 400L tank with no major problems, lots of hiding places etc, as they can be territorial, a little argy bargy but that's about all.
The Gold Nugget is pretty slow growing and they can get quite big but it will probably take a few years in aquarium.
My Blue and Green Phantoms are approx 6"-7" S/L (about 2" S/L when bought) and as we hope to move in the near future the Green Phantoms will be getting there own tank.
There are 2 types of green phantom, Baryancistrus demantoides (Hi-Fin) and Hemiancistrus subviridis.
They can be aggressive to there own kind so best mix the Baryancistrus with the Hemiancistrus (Blue phantom) if possible. and also to avoid cross breeding,
Of course the G/N is also Baryancistrus so I would do some research and decide. :)

Neil1155

Jul 23, 2016
Kendal
:welcome:
Hi Neil
I can't comment on the Royal apart from if it is a panaque then make sure you have plenty of wood in the tank.
As for the Nugget and phantoms, I have kept them together for about 7 years (1 x G/N, 2 x Blue, 2 x Green) in my 400L tank with no major problems, lots of hiding places etc, as they can be territorial, a little argy bargy but that's about all.
The Gold Nugget is pretty slow growing and they can get quite big but it will probably take a few years in aquarium.
My Blue and Green Phantoms are approx 6"-7" S/L (about 2" S/L when bought) and as we hope to move in the near future the Green Phantoms will be getting there own tank.
There are 2 types of green phantom, Baryancistrus demantoides (Hi-Fin) and Hemiancistrus subviridis.
They can be aggressive to there own kind so best mix the Baryancistrus with the Hemiancistrus (Blue phantom) if possible. and also to avoid cross breeding,
Of course the G/N is also Baryancistrus so I would do some research and decide. :)
Thanks mate,
I have the royal and the golden nugget now, great looking fish. Seem to be doing well at the moment.
Have the whole tank decorated with bogwood so the royal is well happy. Plenty of hides but I've set the tank up so I can always see them without invading there space. I'm well happy.
Neil.