Aquarium Size for Bristlenose Pleco

itsabitoff

Jun 13, 2016
Perth
I was told by a friend that if I wanted to create an aquarium for Pleco then I'd need to get a huge 125 gallon tank to house them. I've been reading up a little bit and that doesn't necessarily seem to be the case but then I am getting mixed views on it. Apparently one of the better breeds to get is the bristlenose pleco as they are great tank cleaners. It would appear that they don't grow as big as some other Pleco species too so a tank as small as 10 gallons has been suggested to be acceptable. Personally I wouldn't want to go anywhere near that small but I'd be interested to see what people think. I was also wondering how well they get on with other fish species and whether there are certain other fish that I should be looking at if I want a mixed tank. I know they are herbivores and don't move around too much so I'd expect they get on ok with other fish. I wanted to create a driftwood style theme to my aquarium and apparently that is the perfect kind of environment for a bristlenose as it mimics their own natural environment. I'd probably therefore go for other fish that this habitat would also suit. Something interesting to look at with a bit of colour would be nice to give the tank a bit of contrast.

Also, I'm looking for a good place online to get my aquarium supplies. Are there any recommended sites online that have a good range of aquarium goods for sale? Probably worth just getting most of the equipment second hand providing they are in good condition but there will ultimately be some things that i'd be best buying from new, like lighting. First things first, I need to settle on what size tank and then need to find one for sale. A used tank would surely save me quite a bit of cash.

Last edited:

itsabitoff

Jun 13, 2016
Perth
I was told by a friend that if I wanted to create an aquarium for Pleco then I'd need to get a huge 125 gallon tank to house them. I've been reading up a little bit and that doesn't necessarily seem to be the case but then I am getting mixed views on it. Apparently one of the better breeds to get is the bristlenose pleco as they are great tank cleaners. It would appear that they don't grow as big as some other Pleco species too so a tank as small as 10 gallons has been suggested to be acceptable. Personally I wouldn't want to go anywhere near that small but I'd be interested to see what people think. I was also wondering how well they get on with other fish species and whether there are certain other fish that I should be looking at if I want a mixed tank. I know they are herbivores and don't move around too much so I'd expect they get on ok with other fish. I wanted to create a driftwood style theme to my aquarium and apparently that is the perfect kind of environment for a bristlenose as it mimics their own natural environment. I'd probably therefore go for other fish that this habitat would also suit. Something interesting to look at with a bit of colour would be nice to give the tank a bit of contrast.

Also, I'm looking for a good place online to get my aquarium supplies. Are there any recommended sites online that have a good range of aquarium goods for sale? Probably worth just getting most of the equipment second hand providing they are in good condition but there will ultimately be some things that i'd be best buying from new, like lighting. First things first, I need to settle on what size tank and then need to find one for sale. A used tank would surely save me quite a bit of cash.

Did anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:

Departure

Apr 30, 2016
Perth
I can only tell you from my own experience's, but there is many more people on here with far greater experience than me.. Anyway Bristlenose that I have seen only get to around 15cm sometimes 17cm, I have never seen a bristlenose larger than that, The common pleco which gets a lot larger you would need a good size tank, but for bristlenose you can keep them in a 2ft tank with no problems(only giving my own experience). Yes most pleco's love driftwood and some rely on it for there diet. Australia has pretty much banned pleco's being imported(except the clown pleco) which means that any pleco's you get here now have never been in there natural environment and instead more than likely been born in a fish tank contain normal tap water , So in other words I feel its probably not critique factor to ensure that you mimic there "Natural Environment" when in fact in most cases there natural environment is an aquarium . But this is only my point of view. Bristlenose goes well with most other types of fish, only time you will see some bickering is between its own species(normally males fighting over a cave).

Some suggestion's
1) They can be a messy fish, so an extra internal power filter could help with regular cleaning
2) Feed them an assortment of foods like zucchini , algae wafers ect.. I found that my bristlenose really like Repashy foods, morning wood or Supergreen, but anything containing green veg should be alright ... E.g peas, cucumber ect..
3) Wouldn't keep too many males together in a small tank as they might start bickering
4) Some type of wood in the tank will be good for them
5) hiding spots like caves ect.. are always good to have for them
6) They seem to come out more at night, So give them a feed just before you turn the lights out
7) be careful as these things breed like crazy and in Perth are very hard to move on as people just don't want them, so you will end up with a tank full of fry.

Hope that kinda helps you,

As for stores

TheTechDen
AgeOfAquariums
GuppysAquariumProducts

All seem to have good prices on products with a flat rate shipping fee, There are many more but I seem to use these 3 the most

P.s
I have a heap of ALbino bristlenose fry, they are only a couple of weeks old, but if you get your aquarium it will take time to cycle, by that time they will be ready for a new home, I can give some of them for free if you like to start you of with

Last edited: