Discus - couple of questions

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
I'll start a new thread rather than have the questions lost in my old one.

I went to a newly opened wholesalers yesterday, they had just received delivery of some Discus, literally still in the shipping boxes which i wasn't prepared to whisk straight home. Also some in tanks that were being treated for whitespot (preventative rather than cure I think he said).

Not much else of interest, called into a new branch of an established store and picked up 3 Orange discus. They had been in a month, all feeding, so they are now in my tank.

I left a blue one there that had rather large eyes compared to it's body.

There are 2 really nice larger ones but didn't fancy dropping that much cash on my first Discus.

Question 1 - Ideally I would like to add some more, those with experience, provided I can find some the same size will there be any issues adding to this group of 3? I want perhaps 6-7 total and a shop I am going to after work has juvis in, just need to check size is comparable.

Question 2 - I think I may have a little too much current in tank at moment. I have an Eheim 2217 and Tetratec ex700 with spraybars sat on top of each other top left of tank going longways, the group are sitting in the zone under this. I also have a internal that I basically use as a powerheard (with a small amount of media) that is mounted halfway up from tank on the side opposite spray bars, point back towards spray bars, I can lose this without any really affect to bio filtration, just calming things down a bit. I assume if I do remove it I will be able to see from their behaviour if they prefer if? Have read conflicting reports on whether they like current, most suggest not too much.

Other option would be to move the internal under the spray bars which will reduce its overall effect as it will be firing through my Anubias jungle.

Will post some pics of set up later

Reactions: johnbetta397

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
I added some info to your old thread. Good call to leave the one with body-eye ratio issues. I always found that discus if not fed properly as juvies have stunted bodies and I have always used the eye size to estimate if they are stunted or not.

I'd take the option to diffuse the spray through the anubias and see how that goes.

To add to the info from the other thread, I usually gave a preventative treatment for white spot too, and also a good worming. Ask the store if they have been wormed, I lost many in my early discus days to worms/internal parasites.

Reactions: johnbetta397

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Cheers, seen that.

I will lock the other thread I think, easier!

Will ask re worming, doubtful out here to be honest, I am not sure whether worming meds are even available, I took a punt on some WC plecs and they were fine.

Edit - Group of 7-8 I was thinking, sound about right?

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Picked up 2 more, bringing group to 5, left another 2 in shops, big eyes small body again.

I also messed about with the internal, couldn't get it in a place that was unobtrusive (whilst my scape is fairly wild I don't like to see hardware) so i removed it, they are all roaming the whole tank now so I think it is a win all round.

Will try and get some photos later.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i think 6 is also a good number. Glad to see that you waited till they fed etc. It is always very tempting to jump straight in and buy as you are the first one there, but I usually wait 14days when fish are in the tanks at the LFS before I buy. By then they have settled, should be feeding and you can see any bad issues etc. I also responded to your other thread, but absolute great tank, set up and fish. cheers jk :thumbup:

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
If you are going to go extra, grab 3 blues then and go for the eight. I often found odd numbers resulted in one being generally excluded. Also be cautious if once they grow a breeding pair forms. I have watched a breeding pair *******ise a tank of 10 others. We didn't notice they had spawned on an anubias leaf at the back of the pairing tank (a 6x2x2). Lets just say that 10 semi-adult discus in a 1ft space at the end of a tank is not a pleasing sight.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
They were about 6-7 inches across. Probably around the 9-12 month mark. I wish I could find all my old breeding logs so I could be certain of age. I have seen 4-5" fish breeding but that's about as large as they ever grew.

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
I'll start a new thread rather than have the questions lost in my old one.

I went to a newly opened wholesalers yesterday, they had just received delivery of some Discus, literally still in the shipping boxes which i wasn't prepared to whisk straight home. Also some in tanks that were being treated for whitespot (preventative rather than cure I think he said).

Not much else of interest, called into a new branch of an established store and picked up 3 Orange discus. They had been in a month, all feeding, so they are now in my tank.

I left a blue one there that had rather large eyes compared to it's body.

There are 2 really nice larger ones but didn't fancy dropping that much cash on my first Discus.

Question 1 - Ideally I would like to add some more, those with experience, provided I can find some the same size will there be any issues adding to this group of 3? I want perhaps 6-7 total and a shop I am going to after work has juvis in, just need to check size is comparable.

Question 2 - I think I may have a little too much current in tank at moment. I have an Eheim 2217 and Tetratec ex700 with spraybars sat on top of each other top left of tank going longways, the group are sitting in the zone under this. I also have a internal that I basically use as a powerheard (with a small amount of media) that is mounted halfway up from tank on the side opposite spray bars, point back towards spray bars, I can lose this without any really affect to bio filtration, just calming things down a bit. I assume if I do remove it I will be able to see from their behaviour if they prefer if? Have read conflicting reports on whether they like current, most suggest not too much.

Other option would be to move the internal under the spray bars which will reduce its overall effect as it will be firing through my Anubias jungle.

Will post some pics of set up later
mate if i was in your position i would try and find a discus breeder to buy from and would ask how old they are and if they have been treated for worms most breeders of discus de worm there stock every six months or so and they should be all ready quarenteened before sale