blockhead cichlid

kirst_518

Mar 30, 2011
Sussex
Hi ive had a pair of blockheads cichlids for 2 years and found the female dead today :-( she has 2 month old fry which im bringing up myself and 1 week old fry which i have just saved as the male left them. She has been fine but havent been able to check on any of the fish for two days as the light unit blew up so had to buy a new one :-( which was fitted today. My question is do i need to get him a new female or will he survive on his own?

Thanks

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
sorry for your loss. It is always sad when you have a pair and something like this happens. I would look for another female if you wish to continue breeding, however before adding the female I would alter the aquarium decor and set up. This just to stop possible agro from the male if a new fish is introduced into a settled territory. Now if yo relandscape then both Male and female will have to settle. I find this transition easier. cheers and good luck jk :thumbup:

kirst_518

Mar 30, 2011
Sussex
sorry for your loss. It is always sad when you have a pair and something like this happens. I would look for another female if you wish to continue breeding, however before adding the female I would alter the aquarium decor and set up. This just to stop possible agro from the male if a new fish is introduced into a settled territory. Now if yo relandscape then both Male and female will have to settle. I find this transition easier. cheers and good luck jk :thumbup:
Ok will look out for one! Yes its very sad as they are always breeding!.
Thanks

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Be very cautious with trying to add a new mate (especially a female) with lionheads. They form very strong bonds as a pair but have a VERY low tolerance towards conspecifics. I had three pair and lost two females and a male over the years. The three remaining would never live in one tank together. In the end I kept my favourite male in a separate display and farmed the others out to friends displays tanks with no other lionheads present.