Would you buy a plec with a sunken belly?

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Just been the aquatic store in Bristol and noticed 3 L027 (xingu I think but not 100%). Although they were only juveniles I thought 3 for £50 was a cracking price. But the guy explained to me that they hadn't been in for long they had sunken belly. I decided to leave them.

What do you think?

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
maybe they just need some decent feeds? i brought home a os bn today as he looks a big neglected and now hes eating like a champion. he also has a very sunken belly. at that price its not much to loose!

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Did you get a pic of them? 3 for £50 is a smashing price, seems a little too good though.

I've been in a similar position before. I had travelled a long way to get them, and found them in very poor condition. One was lost within an hour of getting home, the other two pulled through and have been fine since. If it's possible to leave them, encourage the shop to boost their health, and get them at a later date then that's the best. But if not, just ensure when you get them home they have the best environment possible.

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
I tried telling him to have food in the tank all the time. And add some wood. Such a shame there on for £20 but offered him 3 for £50 (until I saw there bellys).

They had a big 330 for £200. Not really much in the way of L's. had a few snakeheads, MBU. A few nice chunky corys (I'm not good with species). Oh and motorays

I totally forgot to get the camera out (got excited)

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
tough call.....obviously the price(by what others are saying) is due to their condition but can you ask for a credit if you were to take them ,but if sadly you loose them? Here, most stores have a 17 day time frame for credits or replacement fish, well the chain stores do this. Aq only stores are different.They would prob accept a deal of keeping them for the price you pay , while trying to beef them up themselves ,and if they lost them, you would certainly get a credit. Worth a try ?

Matt said he was successful with 2 in that state, and jk said it's a risk, and if you did take them and got them to eat ,you will have saved them, yet if they are too far along, at least you tried. I honestly don't know the equivelant of your money standards ,so no idea what you would be paying, that is why I asked about a credit . good luck if you choose to go for it.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
If you decide to purchase them it won't be as easy as just feeding them they will need a slow introduction to there new environment good hiding places very clean water and feed high quality foods very small amounts but 3-4 times a day
This will guarantee that the fish will feel safe and not stress not suffer from bad water so won't stress and small amounts for food to Provent bloat
Avoid meds unless you are 100% sure they are suffering from parasites !
Good luck!
Buy 6 :)

Last edited:

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would without hesitation as long as it's not a bacterial infection.

I've bought a few of my panaque cheap and half alive.

I'm not suggesting people do the same but if you don't mind taking the risk then go for it.

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
The bacterial infection freaks me out. I am a little more cautious now.

I had no wear to quarantine them.

Really fancied some juveniles though