L333 eating eggs

Peterfish

Aug 12, 2010
Sydney
Hi All

My L333 colony has laid eggs few times but the male keep eating the eggs. I know my L333 male is not young (12cm+), i had fries from this colony b4 but i dont know why now the male love eating the eggs. Any help please????

Thanks

Peter

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
how often do u feed them? i found that sometimes if males arent fed enough prior to spawning they snack on the eggs, make sure you feed them up lots before you try spawning again. but sometimes you just get the odd ones that eat them, and once they start they usually stick to it.

best of luck!

Peterfish

Aug 12, 2010
Sydney
Thanks for all info guys

I feed them everyday with NLS and 2 times per week on blood worm. What's the best food to feed L333?

Cheers

Peter

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
add fresh veg every day, eg courgette or green bean, then remove the uneaten part the next day and replace with fresh, so they always have access to some veg as well as the normal protein feed.
the other reason he may eat the eggs is disturbance. is there a lot of activity in the room where the tank is or anything, if so cover most of the glass and try that

Peterfish

Aug 12, 2010
Sydney
That's exactly what my male doing right now. He was good b4, but currently he's turning to eat eggs. Very frustrated with all my males in the colony now.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
give them all the sack!!!!...

i was so mad i even contemplated feeding the big males to my rtc and letting a smaller male grow up and try his luck...... but one thing that stopped me was the main man has awesome colouring and breeds nicely coloured fry....

timmy82

Oct 3, 2012
Eumundi
I would go with the fry saver too. Have it suspended in the tank they are in with good flow and maybe some cherry shrimp to keep the eggs clean or some snail but be sure as they not a snail that will eat the eggs.