filter woes

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
well my happy days might off just ended.
did my filter sponge clean yesterday,there wernt much crap in there.
didnt think much about it.today do a 10% water change and noticed there was very little flow coming from the filter out let.popped the motor out,looks ok,inpeller looked ok.restarted filter,the same.all the sponges are in ok to.
also noticed when removing the pump etc that there was a lot of crap/poo/mulm ect behind the filter.and as the filter takes up the hole right hand side of the tank its a bit of a worry.
is it posable to put a better motor in it?
so im thinking it might be time for an external filter.
question time:
1,whats the best external for a 75L tank
2,can i get one with an internal heater
3,do they all leak
3,can i adjust the flow
4,the best way to return the filterd water as i have co2
5,to seed the external do i just add the media ,sponges from old filter.

cheers for any help,sorry for long post (again) :nw:

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
i have an all pond solutions external for my first try with these type of filters.
Alll good external filters have a cut off switch thing that stops water coming ina nd out when you want to do you maintaing but i also spill some after taking the lid off but nothing having a towl ready dosent fix!
I have a heater and a uv light inside my external.
I can adjust the flow on mine :( big pain as it is so fast the fish blow to the other side"!lol

If i was buying a new one i would go with the clasic trusted
http://www.danditropicals.co.uk/index.php?view=product&product=1106

i've been thinking of this one.

hope it helps a bit.... im no pro with this stuff!

respect and good luck

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I always recommend a filter that will do at least double the tank volume and the Eheim classic 2213 will do you nicely...It doesn't have a heater.
I would return the water through a power diffuser as this will give you 100% absorbtion of co2 into the water

Last edited:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Eheim 2324 built in heater and easy to service.

get a 2nd hand one for under £100:00 on e bay

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
I always recommend a filter that will do at least double the tank volume and the Eheim classic 2213 will do you nicely...It doesn't have a heater.
I would return the water through a power diffuser as this will give you 100% absorbtion of co2 into the water
a link for a power diffuser mate?

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Would this work with the 2213;

Hydor ETH 300 External Thermal Heater

ETH External thermal heater which includes the PTC system. Suitable for all external canister filters. Completely safe. No danger of damage if the equipment is left running without water for a short period of time Patented heating element made with the exclusive PTC system. The traditional metal resistor coils have been replaced by a special polymer sheet, silk-screened with heating ink. ETH 300 power 300W inlet Hose 16mm for aquaria of 200ltrs

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I've recently got both Eheim 2213 and a Eheim 2224 via EBAY and either of them with the Hydor ETH200 (these have 12/16 tubing, and the ETH300 uses the bigger 16/22 tubing) would do.

cheers Darrel

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
If I could do it over again, I would have bought an Ehiem. Instead I bought a Fluval 405 filter and I'm not really thrilled with it. I don't think it filters as well as some of my more powerful hob filters can. The impeller simply stopped working one day (no warning at all, just a loud noise and done) so I had to drive 2 hours round trip to replace the impeller. I also have to keep an hob filter on the tank as well because it doesn't circulate the water at the top of the tank. I dont know but I just don't think it works as well as I had expected it to.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
i use the heater in my Filters to prevent any large drops in heat when I turn my main heaters of to kick a spawning in to action.
Set Eheim heater in filter @24 and tank heater @29/30
You can then turn off the tank heater any time it starts to rain and have no fear of the tank dropping to a deadly temp.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi mac, what is the height off ur filter?
I only have 300mm of height to put the filter.
Scratch that, I can get my drill out to make room
Pm on the way mac.

Last edited:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
another option is buy a heater guard, they come in green and you dont really see them :yes:. I also have 2 heaters in each tank as a back up. cheers jk :thumbup:
PS thanks i go to nirvana- go eheim

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,filter fixed.searched the loft for the filter manual and it shows how to pull apart and clean the pump.the cover i removed to clean it yesterday was the wrong one:wb: didnt even know there was 2!!
there was tons of crap in there and tons more in the compartment it sits in!all fixed and the flow is lots better,every leave in the tank is moving now.can even see the reflection of the moving water on the carpet!!(with the lights on)
may still go with an external as a back up,mac...:whistle:
if the back up was needed could i just put all the filter media from the tank filter in the back up one? so its ready to go asap.