silica sand

klw

Aug 7, 2011
sydney
hi everyone,got a silly question,what is silica sand? and is it a good substrate for l333's ? or is river sand ok.i currently have what i think is coral sand which looks good but im not sure wether to go with a new lot of coral sand or not,im worried about a ph shock if i change substrate but there are a billion snails in this substrate thats why i want to change it or should i just try to clean what ive got instead?

thanks

Last edited:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello,

Silica sand is an inert sand( it does not change in any way or form water quality or has no effect on water and composition) and I use it for all of my tanks. It is fine and wonderful too use. I buy it at the pool shop, approx 20kg for 25AUD. Wash it well and all of my Ls love it. My plants also like it as well.
Coral sand i would not recomend as I find it not smooth and still contains a lot of salt. cheers jk :thumbup:

klw

Aug 7, 2011
sydney
thanks bigbird thats good to know,i will go and get me some of that,cause i do love the look of sand:)

klw

Aug 7, 2011
sydney
seems no one has heard of silica sand over my way so is washed river sand ok for my tank or is sydney sand better ?
thanks guys

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
silica sand is also know as pool filter sand in the pool shops. They use this for the pool filters. River sand should be fine, just make sure you wash it very well and maybe put some in a bucket for a couple of days and then test it for PH value. Also remember when you later add to the tank, to add the water conditioner. cheers jk :thumbup:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
A few points on substrate

The expression “it looks good” fills me with dread.

The substrate is a vital part of your tank and a vital part of the natural conditions that the fish live in.
Let us look at each form of substrate and compare it with the substrate nature will use.

Sand
1st off we need to establish if the sand is inert as Big Bird pointed out
Any sand from a river bed will be a mixture of sand, gravel and decomposing matter like leaf and wood matter.
Sand will “pack” and cause bacterial build-up problems if used in large amount, to deep or to fine.
A mix of fine sand and fine gravel will form a natural and useful substrate. Then plants in small clay pots can be placed in this sort of substrate and covered with rocks or bog wood to give a natural look.
Most Plecs are either found in areas were the bottom is a mix of sand and gravel or rocks
The only rules with sand are check it is inert and don’t use to much.
A main problem people seem to forget is sand can get in to a filter and ruin the rubber bearings.

Gravel

The main problem with gravel is it can trap food partials’ and cause a bacterial problem if to coarse and if to fine will present the same problems as sand.
Again a layer of around 1” to 1 ½” is best.

Myself I find a mix of sand gravel and a few large stones are best with a layer of leaf and bark mulm.

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
also agree with mac. sydney river sand depens where it comes from and I would always test it. Try at the pool shop again or ring them a well.
I have not used SYD river sand, so cannot say. cheers jk :thumbup:

klw

Aug 7, 2011
sydney
well i was gonna use the river sand but it had black bits all through it and looked terrible so i bought a bag of the pool filter sand and have re-done my new tank (snail free i hope) and it looks sensational,so clean !!!! i love the new look,shame it doesnt last.my only gripe with the sand is its whitish and i wanted natural sand brown colour.oh well.