Simple,Cheap and Effective way of submerging driftwood.

Vuk

Sep 2, 2011
Australia
Hey everyone,
I thought I would share the method I use to submerge driftwood during it's annoying buoyant period, I absolutely hate driftwood floating around my tanks surface for weeks so devised this simple method.

What you will need:

-Zip/Cable ties (Size and quantity will depend on the size of driftwood)

-Hook suction caps (Many of these have a load rating e.g 1.5 kilograms the higher the rating the better) Also make sure that you only use ones that are 100% plastic/rubber and contain no metal.

Method:
-Zip your cable ties around your driftwood with a little slack left to fit your hook, you can use multiple cable ties to lengthen them.
-Place your hook suction cups inside your aquarium upside down so the hook looks like an upside down "J"
-Place your driftwood in the water and use the cable tie to latch it on to the hook.
-Tighten the cable ties

If you are using a very large piece of DW complete this method at several points on the wood (More suction caps and more zip ties)

This will allow you to utilise the driftwood while waiting for it to take on water and sink.

Here is the end result (Please excuse the state of the glass and the tank, I just removed the substrate)

Hope this helps

Adam