Common Bristlenose

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Looking for a suitable plec to go with Odessa Barbs, i think they are also known as Ticto Barbs. Would a Common Bristlenose with a cave be ok with them?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
most plecs would be suitable tank mates, it depends on the size of the tank really.
if its a decent sized tank, you could take your pick and try a couple of the more fancy plecs

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
most plecs would be suitable tank mates, it depends on the size of the tank really.
if its a decent sized tank, you could take your pick and try a couple of the more fancy plecs
:hi: Scatz

At the moment the Odessa's are in a 106 litre tank which i think works out to 28 US gallons and 23 UK gallons. I have been researching on planet catfish differant types of Ancistrus, i was just wondering how they fair with more boistrous fish. I do like the L183 to.

Also our LFS regularily has Common Bristlenose in : )

Last edited:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I've got Rosy Barbs in with plecs & though they are not Odessas they're pretty similar from what I can tell not having kept Odessas. They keep to themselves & don't really even seem to notice other fish & this includes other mid-dwelling fish as well. From what I could see about Odessas though they do prefer rather cooler temps as tropicals go & thus this could restrict somewhat your choice of plec tankmates. Common bristlenoses are fine in the upper end of the temps that the Odessas prefer (14-22C / 64.5-71.5F according to the source I saw). L183s like it a bit warmer.

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Hi Lornek8, we have them in a tank at the tempreture the LFS said they should be at 26 and i looked at a care sheet that gave the tempreture as 18-26 so as you can see i am a little confused. Should i get hubby to turn the temp down a bit or leave them as they are. They were in a 26 tank at the Lfs.

Thanks.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I looked at a few more sites & saw about an equal amount of sites that said it prefered cooler temps as I did that said it liked warmer temps. There was also a lot of confusion regarding the origin of the species as the Odessa Barb has recently been described as a new species rather than a selectively bred Ticto barb as was long thought. This could lead to the confusion. Honestly at this point I can't tell you what temps they prefer. One of the references commented about the country of origin, Myanmar (Burma), being more sub-tropical but a look at its climate reveals that it has a diversity of temperature ranges across the country as well as dramatic local temperature swings. To get better info you might have to look a the species description which should give some info on catch local.

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
LOL

Lornek8 i have 3 children two are preteens one is nearly 4 :wacko:

This is my saying :

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Big-B

Apr 22, 2009
Kansas City Missouri
Do you have your heart set on Bristlenose (which I totally understand) or are you considering any others? The Rubbernose/Bulldog plec would thrive in those temps.:yes: It stays small which would work well in that size tank also.