Do pleco play dead?

Joshlikesfish

Jan 28, 2011
New Zealand
Hi everybody
I was watching my L140 tank today and noticed a male L140 on its back with the other male watching it. I went "Oh no, its dead", when I went to remove him, he got up before i got anywhere near him and got onto a rock.
I saw my L140 males fighting earlier when i rescaped the tank.
Basically, do they play dead? Or should I be worrying?

Thanks

Last edited:

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
They dont play dead but they can sucker onto things usually under filters and fall asleep letting go which can make them appear that they have rolled onto thier backs, but if he is just lying on his back in the middle of the tank or out in the open I would be a little concerened.
I had a L52 that spent most of the day on his back under in internal filter, the first time he did it gave me a fright.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
My plecs sometimes do that, but never known them to do in that way..
I would also say it was to do with the other male. Could it be he was exhausted from fighting? If any of my plecs fight, they are very tired afterwards.

Joshlikesfish

Jan 28, 2011
New Zealand
I don't think it was sleeping as i had seen it moving a little prior.
Should I separate them?
I have 6x L140 in a 90cmx40cmx40cm tank (36x15x15inch's)
I'm attempting to breed them. They're only about 6-8cm yet and I've only had them a few weeks. I've set them up with a few caves but I'm waiting till they're larger before trying to spawn them. Theres one what looks to be male that always hangs out in a cave, where as these other two have shown no interest in any cave

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
If its 2 males fighting i would seperate if possible, how long have they neen in there? What are the water perimeters? And do they fight alot / is there any visible damage to either fish?

Joshlikesfish

Jan 28, 2011
New Zealand
Last time I checked, it was pH 6.8, and I believe the parameters are good. Will check when I can get down the the LPS.
It is possible to separate them. Today is the first time I've seen them fight and there seems to be no visible wounds