Baryancistrus sp. L177 gold nugget.

ollie

Jan 28, 2011
cornwall uk
been thinking about getting some gold nugget plecos , but have heard they are very aggressive to there own .
what sort of space would a group need and the best ratio to keep them happy.
have they been bred succesfully in aquariums . my lfs has some in and they are about 4" tl , they want £20 each for them.

thanks ollie

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
They can be aggressive but probably a bigger issue is they can be difficult to acclimate. It can require some expertise/knowledge/experience to get them to acclimate sometimes.

There has been one breeding of L177 (the only GN breeding). A link to the article was posted here before in an old thread but i'll have to try & find it.

ollie

Jan 28, 2011
cornwall uk
They can be aggressive but probably a bigger issue is they can be difficult to acclimate. It can require some expertise/knowledge/experience to get them to acclimate sometimes.

There has been one breeding of L177 (the only GN breeding). A link to the article was posted here before in an old thread but i'll have to try & find it.
thanks lornek , maybe i might just get one to keep as a specimen fish .
thanks for your help:)

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
Too right. You guys have it good over there with your wild imports and low prices. I wish we had as much variety and more of them so the prices would drop even just a little!

Just after i read about them, I gave up on the idea of a Gold Nugget the very first time I saw the price. It's like being told about something amazingly awesome and then someone locks it away in a glass cabinet so you can see it forever and know you're never going to have it..

Last edited: