Royal Whiptails Laid eggs!!!!

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
Hi All,

So im currently away at work for another 3 weeks, and my missus has just rang me and send me some pics of my male royal whip tail fanning some eggs..... i had a mini freak out and so did she because we wanted to breed them but not yet.

first things first, the eggs are laid ontop of one of my internal filters.

What do i do now let nature take its course? ive never bred any fish before, just getting into it!

sandstone

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa, U.S.
Way to go.. but good luck on raising the frys.. I have tried way to many times to say but just cant get them past 1 1/2 " before they start dying.:cry: One thing you should know about them is the babys need the food infront of them othewise they will not eat. Most of them Starve to death.. they will not go looking for food.. Hardest one I have found to raise so far.. Hope you have better luck then me and get the job done.:thumbup:

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
Ok so I'm going to put them
In a fry saver, can I do it while there still in the egg on day 7 or not untill there wrigglers? And do I put an air stone in the saver? Cheers for your help

__CAV__

Aug 25, 2010
Queensland, Australia
the fry are exremely hard to grow up,
i found the best way (after doing some research) to grow them up was to get an bucket of water and stick it out in the sun so algae begins to grow in it,
once it starts growing get some hardwood stakes and put them in the bucket so the algae can grows on the stakes.
once you get enough algae on them just put them in the fry tank and the fry will eat the algae of them.

another thing with them is that the babys wont actively search for food so you need to pretty much put the food right next to them.

anyway HTH and GL

Cav

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well done, catching the fry is good news.
I guess they dont need food till egg sack used up.
maybe get some fry food supplies in?

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
well done, catching the fry is good news.
I guess they dont need food till egg sack used up.
maybe get some fry food supplies in?
I am feeding 2 different types of algea wafers, butternut pumpkin and courgette will see how they go, they havnt taken to either of the vege's to my knowledge, not when im in the room anyways, but they are on the floor of the fry saver and theres algea wafer there scattered around so hopefully they are sucking that up......hardest thing with these little guys is getting them to eat!
i know alot of people who loose all there fry, everytime, probably from starvation.

Cheers