Advice please... Zebras wont spawn :(

VickiandKev

Jan 27, 2010
North London
Hi,

Would really appreciate some advice or tricks of the trade on getting my zebs to spawn. I have tried all the tricks I know like simulating the rainy season (water change at a lower temp). I'm not bothered if they just take their time as this is how we have got all our other pleco to breed for example starlight bn.

Any advice would be great though.

Thanks very much

Kev&Vicki

GrubbyGirl

Nov 18, 2009
Kent
And when did you last moved them or changed their tank around? I think you've moved fairly recently haven't you? It took 8 months of leaving them completely alone and untouched (apart from water changes) for my little gang to spawn and even then it wasn't successful

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well I move my tank around (only a little) every few weeks - mainly to catch some shrimps out of the plants and keep the population lower and to check under the caves for any worms infecting (I only lift one cave to look but try a diff cave each time) also helps make sure no black sand under the caves.
he is now fanning his fourth lot of eggs this year.
tell us more about the set up please. they are very different to BNs.
do you breed any other hypancistrus?
water temp, water hardness/soft, tanks photo, tank mates etc

VickiandKev

Jan 27, 2010
North London
well I move my tank around (only a little) every few weeks - mainly to catch some shrimps out of the plants and keep the population lower and to check under the caves for any worms infecting (I only lift one cave to look but try a diff cave each time) also helps make sure no black sand under the caves.
he is now fanning his fourth lot of eggs this year.
tell us more about the set up please. they are very different to BNs.
do you breed any other hypancistrus?
water temp, water hardness/soft, tanks photo, tank mates etc
There are 8 in the group 3 males and 5 females, in a 3ftx2ftx1ft tank lots of bogwood and caves in a quiet corner so not disturbed. water temp is 29 hardness 198 tds, ph7.5 with no tank mates. Haven't bred any other hypans.

thanks

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
try getting your tds level below 100pm for a first spawn.... after that you wont need to get them that low again....
and make sure you have some tight caves....

do you know how old the fish are??? the males in particular???

VickiandKev

Jan 27, 2010
North London
try getting your tds level below 100pm for a first spawn.... after that you wont need to get them that low again....
and make sure you have some tight caves....

do you know how old the fish are??? the males in particular???
thanks.. they are all mature, pre-ban wild caught at least 7years of age i would think. They have bred for their previous owner. The males are around 4"

cheers

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
sounds like a good set up then. yes lower tds a bit will help, and an almond leaf. if you have breeding BNs add some of their tank water when doing w/c.(the pherimones in the water are supposed to help.)
I assume you have a good water movement, no tank lights.