which would you choose and why

Amy

Jun 1, 2010
Canada
Which of these two kinds of plecos would you choose for breeding and overall apperance??

L144 Long fin golden

L15 Clown/candystripe

:D

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
personally i'd go for the L015, purely because i really dont like man made long finned fish, but thats just my tastes

Amy

Jun 1, 2010
Canada
Thanks for the reply. I love the long fins. But I have the opportunity to buy 5 L15 but not sure if that is the way I would like to go.

Do they get quite large the L15??

Others say they are quite aggressive also.

The fellow I got my L144 from has a tank of them and the display is beautiful. With their color and all they on black sand, driftood, rock and some plants and what a beautiful display with the color of them being the golden color.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
i like L15 personally but they are harder to breed and its important not to have too big a group or could get fighting. the Bns will be easier especially if you dont have much experiance at breeding?

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
when thinking about breeding you must consider housing/ selling/ return
im sure the 144 would sell cheper ()-
easyer to breed
more fry - consider resell abilaty how hard to sell?
house more together
as for the L15 would be more expencive-
harder to breed
less fry - consider resell abilaty how hard to sell?
keeping only a trio of 1m 2 f maybe 3f

i would say l144 first time fish breeding ? look good hard to kill easy to breed and less scared
but
L15 look alright but prehaps a different Lno. ? guess im not a big fan of these

Amy

Jun 1, 2010
Canada
Well thank you all for the replies. I truly appreciate it very much. After some hard thought I think I will go with what I liked from the first and that is the
L144.

I have seen them setup in a tank with black sand, driftwood, black rock and a live plant and wow, their colore really pops and looks so beautiful. That would be my goal for them.

Thanks again, will update when I get more of them if I can find more.

Amy

Jun 1, 2010
Canada
Here we go again, what I am really after is a nice display tank for plecos only. I really am not interested in the breeding aspect of it all but if it happens well then its a bonus.

I fell in love with the L144 long fins when i seen them in a breeders tank and just had to have one. Now i wish i would have got more as he is not easy to get more from. They are not common in our stores here and there is no breeders in the near area at all for them.

This fellow does have a group of 5 L15 clown/candystripe plecos he needs to sell. He wants 40.00 CDN for them all.

I have not seen them in person and when I was at his place I did not ask about other kinds of plecos either, my fault.

So with setting up a striking looking pleco tank only which of these two varieties would give that wow factor to look at in the tank??

L144
L15

I was also told that my LFS is able to order some long fin in for me if I really want them along with they also have now the Super Reds in regular fin too.

So maybe this helps a bit as to what I am really looking to setup.

All comments once again welcome

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Super reds are nice and not as common as the L144 and L015. Ancistrus are more likely to come out during the day but will tend to hide more as they grow older.

Amy

Jun 1, 2010
Canada
I am just waiting to see what I can get from my lfs.

But a question here:

How did the L144 come about and their color as well come about??

The super reds, where did this color come from??

Tell me they are not injected...

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
L144 was line-bred for the colorartion.
Super red is also line-bred. Neither are injected or dyed, at least they don't need to be.