Ordered Plants from AE

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for the link:D

Just sorting out a couple of pics of it set up. will start the nano diary thread tomorrow or sat but will put up a couple of pics now.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Might need to try and hide the heater etc more if the plants dont cover them eventually

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
looking good to start, hopefully the plants will soon take and then hide the kit in the tank, looking forward to pics as it grows

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Not sure which shrimp yet, not in a rush though. Ill have a look at Atyopsis moluccensis

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
can i make a suggestion?

This will take a long time but worth it in the long run, try and separate each individual planlet and plant them like that, they will grow better and spread quicker.

Also the plant at the front looks like glossostigma that has been grown with roots in water and leaves out of water, it should be very low. Also a very hard species to grow, hope that light is strong enough.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Yep ok, ill do that tomorrow:yes:

Thanks

Yes its glossostigma. The light is 11 watts. Do you think that will be bright enough?

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I'd chuck some fast growing plants in, the reason for this is the permanent planting won't be using much in the way of nutrients or CO2, and you are likely to get some algae forming early on until the planting gets going.
PM me if you want some Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium), or you could use any other floater or Hornwort (Ceratophyllum) or a stem plant Hygrophila corymbosa etc., although these may be more difficult to remove later.

I post occasionally on UKAPS, which has some very interesting posts/posters, although I don't agree with all the techniques recommended. Have a look at this thread: "Setting up a 'higher' tech planted tank". <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1275>.

cheers Darrel

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks Darrel, ill have a read of the article and ill pm you if i want any of the above:D

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Have separated most of the plants esp the glosso. The glossostigma seems to be doing ok so far

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
It could well end up dying before it regrows, im not sure about glosso but crypts die off then regrow leading many to think its gone for good and throw it out, i have a really large echinodorus that lost alot of leaves but now its thriving, all to do with the change in how they are grown. most nurseries grow their plants immersed ( leaves out of the water) to get optimal growth then we buy them and grow them submerged. ( i think i got immersed and submerged the right way around lol)

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
i think i got immersed and submerged the right way around lol)
I know what you mean, immersed, emersed and submersed, it's a s*d really they also sound the same, but "Immersed" and "Submersed" are under the water and "Emersed" is out of the water, and yes that is how they grow the majority of Aquarium plants, this is because the majority of them are really terrestrial/emergent plants, and would much rather be out of the water than in it.
Glossostigma with flower.

cheers Darrel