L203 titanic girl sick

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
This ones got me stumped what it is. The mouth pic with red is 2 days ago.

I moved her to a quaranteen tank and dosed myxazin, broad antibiotics and levamisole as I wanted to cover all bases. Dosed a second dose of myxazin yesterday.

Just took another photo and behind her eye looks red but it doesn't seem to be external. Anyone got any ideas? Keep on with the myxazin? Do another antibiotics dose?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
More pics. Wasn't sure what to do so I did wc and added epsoms salt (1 teasp), cichlid salt (2 teasp) vitamin drops (whole 120L tank dose), antibiotics and Myxazin and have the air way up.
The shrimp are not flicking so the waters tolerable and I even found a zebra loach in the tank I didn't know I had.

Is it possible her cucumber was poison? Someone (probably her) ate a lot of cucumber before she got sick, and this lot of cukes were bigger and more crispy than usual as I bought them from a different store.

Khaifish

Feb 19, 2010
Sydney, Australia
No info on her behaviour and general health.. Has she been acting normal and is still eating??? Doesn't look like a serious disease, maybe its not even a disease. I'm guessing she's still eating and acting normal? If she is i wouldn't be too worried, give her a few days in QT and see how she goes

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Apart from the red is she acting totally normal or is she up on the glass breathing fast looking finn clamped or arched?
Red to me is a sign of bacterial infection but plecos usually behave and look different with this even before the red marks start to appear particulary the fin clamping and arching.

My second thought do you have a heater guard in your tank?
Both the red marks are in places where a heater burn injury could be inflicted if you don't have a heater guard in place.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
My second thought do you have a heater guard in your tank?
Both the red marks are in places where a heater burn injury could be inflicted if you don't have a heater guard in place.
Thats a good suggestion

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
All my heaters have guards. Never use one without.

Just great, not, now I have an ammonia spike from the antibiotics killing the bio.
Done a wc using another tanks water and added an extra seasoned filter.

The girl was breathing heavy from the ammonia but I think she's more comfortable now and I have stability and prime in the water for overnight.

She did a long stringy white poop so maybe things are going to get moving again now?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
She did a long stringy white poop so maybe things are going to get moving again now?
Thats good but also can be a sign of internal parasites. I did read months ago that internal bacterial infections can cause white stringy poop too, although that doesn't seem to be very well documented.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Yes, white stringy poo is a sign of an internal parasite (or something similar) as far as my experience goes. After dosing with a wormer it stopped.

This should be the white stringy poo.

However, I do fairly regularly see a clear tube/string being being "poo'd" out. But I think this is the 'casing' of poo, like a sausage and it's lining. I often see this after a heavy feed and is intermittent with food poo. I don't think this kind is anything to worry.

The belly and eyes look ok, so hopefully it will keep eating as this is half the battle. The thing that worries me is the redness behind the teeth. It might be painful for it to eat, perhaps softer food just to help?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Well to this day we will never know why she had a red patch under the skin behind her eye nor why her teeth were all red in the gums.

She died this morning. Lets hope no one else ever has the same problem.
I thought for sure more experienced pleco keepers might have come across it before.

Maybe take it down to a larger vet surgury to look closely at the insides of the fish as you could have something that may spread to others.( a uni maybe have students that could do a diesection )
Did it have soft and hardwood and did you add any new fish other than the few that were in tank for a while.
I would be leaning towards something on or in the vegatable i only grow my own or by organic.
Maybe external parasite look in gills as there is a creature that can crawl to other tanks if thats what i think it could be.
There a pretty strong fish so i dont want to see the same happen to other fish you have.
Your water is it aged outside any chance of airbourne stuff landing in holding tank?

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I wonder if it could have been some kind of cerebral hemorrhage..
& she slowly slipped away...as ya do with one of those...
Sorry for your great loss Brenda (((Hugz)))
A uni dissection would be handy, just so you know... /:eek:(