Apistogramma Cacatuoides

James16

Sep 5, 2010
Devon
Hey guys,

After my succsefull spawning of pelvicachromis pulcher, http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8986, I want to get some more Dwarf Cichlids.

I was thinking of Apistogramma Cacatuoides. I would like to be able to breed them. My water is about pH 7.5-7.6 I'm not sure about the hardness of my water but I've found this chart, http://www.southwestwater.co.uk/media/pdf/0/2/Water_hardness.pdf I live in the bright green area in the bottom left of the map. Would Cacatuoides breed in this water?

I would keep them in a 50L clearseal with a thin layer of fine sand with leaf litter and driftwood and cocunut caves (are these the best caves?). Filtration would be a U2 on spraybar or an eheim internal.

Do I need dithers? If so what?

I know this is mainly a pleco forum but I know lots of you like your dwarfs :woohoo:

Thanks in advance :)

By the way, if you think there is a better dwarf to try next I'm open to ideas :)

Last edited:

__CAV__

Aug 25, 2010
Queensland, Australia
I just recently picked up 2 unrelated trios of these fellas with the intent to breed them.
i actually had a good talk with the breeder and he said normal tap water was suitable to breed them in (he actually breeds his cacs in normal tap water),
as for dithers i dont think u'll need them, i dont have any with mine and they are fine.
if you can find ketapang leaves (also known as indian almond leaves) they are really good for soft water tanks.

HTH
Cav

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Your set up sounds great. If they are tank bred cacs then they should be pretty hardy, wild caught could be a different story. Another commercially bred apisto is the aggassizi. If you don't want to pay for leaves then look out for some fallen oak or beech leaves, give them a quick boil first to kill any nasties and keep the water and use it in the tank. Alder cones are also very good.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Just to add that the female will spawn in whatever she feels comfortable with, I have 2 different species of apisto breeding in clay caves, the type you get for plecs. An upturned flower pot, small home made slate cave or even under a leaf can all be used to lay eggs under.

As for dithers I think it depends on the fish, if they are particularly shy then dithers would benefit them... Perhaps a small shoal of small corys or very small tetras?

James16

Sep 5, 2010
Devon
thanks for the replies, I'll post pics once the tank is finished.

If I don't get any spawns in my water I can always get RO in a couple of months.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I have recently bought a trio of aggassizi. they are in a 90L tank, but the two females do keep having a go at each other, no injuries as yet so I am hoping they will sort themselves out. great little fish-fun to watch. good luck with whatever you get.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Where do you live James? I've got plenty spare if you want them, I'm nr. Bath but I won't post fish. Very easy to breed and they like coco-nut caves. I think the secret is lots of live food (I give mine a pinch of Grindal Worms every day) and clean water, but not necessarily really soft water. If you contact your water company you should be able to get the dKH and TDS which should tell us whether your water is suitable (I think it should be from the map). I'd also get some floating plants, pm if you can't find any. The best mix is a harem of one male and at least 3 females, but if you have a lot of cover you can get away with a pair or trio.

I think they are a good Apistogramma species to start with, they are quite mellow and forgiving. Also the fry are easy to move on via the LFS etc.

Dithers are best, either Pencil fish (but not N. beckfordii), most Tetras aren't ideal, but I used to keep my cacs. with Black Neon Tetras, these keep well up the water column and are fairly robust if things cut up rough after spawning.

I've also kept Thread-fin Rainbows and Rocket Killis as dithers, they are both fine, in fact anything with a small mouth and surface orientated will do.

This is my favourite old male, he fathered literally hundreds of fry, (before dying totally knackered by parent-hood). He wasn't the best coloured male I've ever had but he was a lovely chunky fish and incredibly calm for a cichlid.

cheers Darrel

James16

Sep 5, 2010
Devon
Thanks for the very informative post! I live in East Devon, which is the bottom right of the map not the left as I wrote in my original post oops :wb:.
the imformation is as follows.

Hardness Description: Slightly Hard
Hardness as Calcium (mg/l): 40 – 60
Hardness as calcium carbonate (mg/l): 100 – 150
Hardness as English degrees Clark: 7 – 10.5
Hardness as French degrees Clark: 10 – 15
Hardness as German degrees Clark: 5.6 – 8.4

Thank you for the very kind offer of fish but as I live in East Devon I won't be able to take you up on it :cry:

I looked on the waterboards website but I can't send them an email because you need to fill in your customer details and being 15 I can't do that :lol::lol:
I would like to get a TDS meter soon.

Thanks again for your informative reply.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Hardness as German degrees Clark: 5.6 – 8.4
Should be OK.
I'd certainly give it a go. If the tank isn't fully established yet?, I'd leave it for a couple of months until the plants are growing really well and then add the Apistogramma pair/trio/harem.

cheers Darrel

James16

Sep 5, 2010
Devon
Tank has been running since last november with 6 WCMM which have spawned tons so now I have 5 juvis too, which will be evicted. I'm just going to add a new filter alongside the old one add a heater change the substrate to pool filter sand (get it free because my grandparents own a B&B with swimming pool :)) some leaf debris and wood, and caves :).

Still not sure where I'm going to get the fish from, don't remmber seeing them in any of LFS. Was thinking about Tri-Mar but they only seem to sell pairs and I would have liked a trio :dk:

Thanks for all your help :)

James16

Sep 5, 2010
Devon
Just a quick question, would It be better to get a form of pelvicachromis taeniatus to keep in my water until I can get an RO unit? Or should I just give a. cacauotides a go? :)

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Your tank is running since NOV and you have has success which is good, however before adding any other fish I would change your substrate as you mentioned to pool silica sand. Then wait another 3-4weeks for all to settle . I would also add some oak leaves or alder cones to assist in your PH. Then add Cacs. They are great Apistos to have and watch. cheers jk
PS Remember it is very easy to want want but patience is wonderful an pays off in the long run :thumbup:

James16

Sep 5, 2010
Devon
Thanks for that reply, I know I need patience, but I'm a teenager and I'm not good on patience :lol::whistle:. Anyway, started getting the bits I need for the tank, Filters been ordered, I have the sand ready. Now I just need a heater, caves, leaves, and alder cones! Saw somw apistos in my LFS yesterday they were gorgeous, Apistogramma Viejita <3

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Wow good news, it takes time. You will find that to 99% that Apisto Viejita sold are in fact Macmasteri. They are stunners and i have breed these and are great. cheers jk :thumbup:

James16

Sep 5, 2010
Devon
Cool thanks for that, It's good learn new things :) The apistos they had were nice, but £26 a pair :eek:hmy:

J

jamous91

Yes i wont argue with that one. Ive got a 30" tank spare that i dont know what to put in it... Likely to be some form of shelldweller

Can you please advise what your setup was like for breeding them? what substrate etc.
i used a sand bottom and just shells placed where i wanted them although the male did move them but be carefull he will bite u