ok, whats going on?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I would suggest you get a little bottle of Seachem Prime liquid and add it daily until the cycle is complete with could take a few weeks. It neutralises the effects of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates during a cycle and will promote the fishes slime coast which is his protective coat. It also neutralises the chlormines in tap water.

I would also get some Waterlifes Protozin and treat the tank with it to cure the finrot and fungus. It is mild enough to use on plecos and won't hurt any of your fish.

Fins crossed they all pull through for you. :)

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
melafix and pimafix are always handy to have around, they treat a wide range of problems, but they are made of natural ingredients so can be mixed with most other meds too

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Number one, get some Seachem Prime liquid or similar. All the treatments in the world won't help if you are putting untreated tap water in the tank. The chlorines in tap water will burn the fish's gills and is poison to fish. Prime will make it safe.

Do you have any filtration in the tank? Powerfilter? Airsponge filter? Bubble wall? Airstone?

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I thought they use chloramine in US tap water which won't disappear if left to stand like UK tap water that is treated with chlorine. Normal dechlorinators won't remove chloramine.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I thought they use chloramine in US tap water which won't disappear if left to stand like UK tap water that is treated with chlorine. Normal dechlorinators won't remove chloramine.

Chloramines are used in many forms in the UK but mainly to "Disinfect" pipe work and water supplies.

It’s deadly and I use a clouroplus carbon block in my R O unit to remove it.

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Can you explain why you think this isn't a good idea?
I believe every fish is evolved to suite certain conditions
Water is more than wet stuff if you take the water from the Amazon at one point it will be totally different to a point 10 miles away so it will support different life forms. Naturally you get an over lap some fish will live in water that is ok for a different fish.
Mainly I believe if nature did not want it to mix then we should not an opinion some share and some people don’t share.
Just my opinion and my way of ensuring safe fish keeping.

It is some thing I don’t like not a crime but to me it looks wrong and it feels wrong.
If a guppy was meant to live in water with a PH of 5.7 and a Kh of 4 with a temp of 27 c and a fast flow rate it would be found in the head waters of the Amazon. Just as a tetra would be found in the coastal streams of Mexico in saline water with a temp of 32 and a Kh of 10.

Regards Bob

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I disagree. I think biotopes at home are great if that is what you like and look good. If someone likes different fish from different parts of the world and want to put them together in a community tank and they can all withstand the same conditions then it is ok.

Putting fish in a tank is unnatural unless you can recreate a river system in your sitting room but then it is still unnatural because it isn't the amazon etc.

Removing wild fish from a river will impact nature because then that fish won't go on to breed in the wild. I still want those fish in my tank though and can't see any problem in putting them with other fish from elsewhere.

Even mixing different species of plecs with each other is unnatural because some would normally not even cross each others paths anyway.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I'm pretty sure most dechlorinators now remove or neutralize chloramine

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
I disagree. I think biotopes at home are great if that is what you like and look good. If someone likes different fish from different parts of the world and want to put them together in a community tank and they can all withstand the same conditions then it is ok.

Putting fish in a tank is unnatural unless you can recreate a river system in your sitting room but then it is still unnatural because it isn't the amazon etc.

Removing wild fish from a river will impact nature because then that fish won't go on to breed in the wild. I still want those fish in my tank though and can't see any problem in putting them with other fish from elsewhere.

Even mixing different species of plecs with each other is unnatural because some would normally not even cross each others paths anyway.
Not wishing to go over ground covered and picked clean.
You are allowed to agree or disagree due to the structure of our democracy.As I am allowed to hold my opinion. (democracy is personally some thing I do not agree with)
What will not be changed by debate or law is the truth.
My angle on fish keeping is breeding and reproducing as natural an environment as I can.
True keeping fish is unnatural, true the exporting of wild fish may harm ecosystems and in some cases has drastically destroyed a natural balance.
Having decided to keep fish and accepted it is not natural I make every attempt to minimise the “unnatural†environment.
I guess you could say my opinion is “I have ripped you from nature for my enjoyment I should make a good attempt to put you in a reproduction of what you came from†i.e. water , temp, habitat.
I am quite happy to offer my opinion and to request that people don’t keep fish in conditions that are not as natural as possible.

After all fish keeping is making an attempt to reproduce nature.
My opinion and it is that an opinion of one, is that mixing fish is not right I keep species only tanks for that reason.

Personally I think “fancy fish†that are man created are disgusting any way. But that is just my opinion as mixing fish is yours.
Sadly we can’t ask the fish what they are most happy with can we?
So the whole argument is academic and will never be resolved.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I can see where you are coming from Bob, I just like to disagree or otherwise it wouldn't be a debate :)

I keep tetras and plecs in my tank so personally don't like mixing fish from different areas but just had to test your thinking. Interesting to hear why people see things how they do.

I still think that people who keep fish might start worrying that it is wrong to put a zebra danio in a tank with say a neon tetra and I doubt the fish are gonna care that they are put together and both fish would manage fine in the same conditions. I think it is more down to personal taste and it is very doubtful that those 2 fish are gonna create some weird looking danio x tetra. That is just an example please don't quote me on that or do actually, lol. I will think of something to say back to you.

If you are going to breed a fish in an aquarium it is no longer wild and unless you intend to put those fish back into the wild then really apart from creating the right water conditions I don't think it really matters what other fish you put in to the tank with them, providing they can withstand the same conditions.

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
your last point "stand the same conditions" is for me the key
many things impact on conditions and as I said we cant ask the fish if they are "Happy"