assassin snails..anetome helena

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Congrates Scottie :woohoo::woohoo:

If you have found a few then I guarantee over the next week you will find hundreds of them. IME once they hatch the disappear into the substrate for a while and once they reach a few mm,s the appear from out of know where.

On a side note I went into an lfs the other day and they were selling them for £7.95:lol::lol::lol::lol:. Daylight robbery if you ask me.

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited:

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Yeap £7.95 each, Mind you they did have an offer on if you bought a "pair" they would do them for £15.00 :lol::lol:

If anyone wants some then pm me and I will send some out to you

Cheers

thegeeman

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I found the same too noticed a couple and next there was loads hav'nt seen any eggs yet though
Strange you havent seen any eggs biker. Mine are all over the place. They look like a little pillow with a white dot in the middle. Mine lay on the bogwood and slate but the majority are laid in the corners of the tank

Heres a pic so you can see what I mean

Cheers

thegeeman

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
excellent stuff scottie, i'm still waiting for mine to breed, saying that, they might be already, i just haven't seen the babies.

scottie73

Apr 21, 2009
hampshire england
i have aload of them spread out in different tanks,to keep the pest snails away.this is the first tank ive had all sand as a substrate...hopefully there will be more soon!!!

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Those are intersting looking eggs thanks for posting a pic :clap:

I've got 2 in one tank, been there for a couple of months now, getting big but no sign of eggs so maybe I've not got a pair :(

One question though, do you think you would get over run with assassin snails instead of pest snails?

bikerman6660

May 3, 2009
N/East UK
I saw the pic of the eggs on an earlier post nand have been keeping an eye out but not seen any they must be laying them though will have another look tomorrow

scottie73

Apr 21, 2009
hampshire england
Those are intersting looking eggs thanks for posting a pic :clap:

I've got 2 in one tank, been there for a couple of months now, getting big but no sign of eggs so maybe I've not got a pair :(

One question though, do you think you would get over run with assassin snails instead of pest snails?
you shouldn't...as they only lay 1 egg at a time..and they are easy to move on...:woohoo:

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
ive got them in each of my tanks and had no sign of eggs untill i found loads one morning covering some wood. no sign of babys in the tank yet though

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I added another 7 to the original 2 and in 3 days I had eggs! Anybody know how many days it takes for them to hatch?

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I added another 7 to the original 2 and in 3 days I had eggs! Anybody know how many days it takes for them to hatch?
The eggs seem to be there for ages and then just vanish. TBH mine lay so many i am not sure how long they take. I do know they just appear at 2mm or so. You will have loads soon.

Cheers

thegeeman

garfieldnfish

Oct 7, 2009
Acworth, GA
I have kept my eye on one egg for 2 weeks now. It almost fills up the jello mass. I expect it to be gone within a couple more days. My guess is 2 to 3 weeks tops. I used to see tons of eggs on the roots of my water sprite, then suddenly they were gone and then a few weeks later I found a bunch of very small killers in the sand. They hide for the first few weeks and then come out and when they do they seem to grow pretty quickly. I have yet to remove one to a separate container to really count the time they take to grow. But I would imagine that varies given tank conditions and availablility of prey snails. Are we allowed to post links on this site? I have a really good link for assassins. If I am not allowed to post it here, contact me and I can email it to you.
I used to be a member on a shrimp site were the owner absolutely had a fit if you so much as mentioned a link or another site. I am new here and do not want to start out on a bad foot.